This recipe comes to us from Melissa of The Faux Martha
- 1 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 1 c. basil, loosely packed
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1/3 c. parmesan, grated
- 2 tbsp. almond butter
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- kosher salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 chicken breast
- kosher salt
- oil (neutral and olive oil)
- 8 slices Dave's Killer Bread, Thin-Sliced GoodSeed
- spring mix greens
- red onion, thinly sliced
- feta or goat cheese
- Prepare the pesto. In a food processor or high powered blender, combine all pesto ingredients and blitz until smooth. In a steady stream, add additional oil until pesto comes together (if needed). Store covered in fridge for up to two weeks.
- Prepare the chicken. Heat cast iron skillet, griddle, or grill to medium-high. In a freezer bag, pound chicken out until 3/8" thick. Thin to win! Cut each breast in half. Sprinkle liberally with salt. Once skillet is hot, lightly spray with a neutral, high-heat oil. Place chicken salt side down. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with more salt plus another spray of oil. Then flip. Cook chicken until thermometer reaches 160°. Remove from skillet. Drizzle with a bit of olive and set aside. This can be done up to a day in advance. Store covered in the fridge.
- Prepare the sandwich. Reheat the chicken in a hot cast iron pan. Pour in about a tablespoon or so of water. Cover and steam for another minute or two. Lightly toast bread to stiffen it up a bit. Liberally shmear pesto on one side of the bread. Top with chicken, spring mix, red onion, and a sprinkle of feta. If traveling with the sandwich, wrap in parchment paper as you would a present.
Recipe makes 4 sandwiches